Charro Beans Recipe or Frijoles Charros Recipe
Submited by Laura from Jimenez Chihuahua Mexico
The Charro Beans Recipe -in other words Frijoles Charros Recipe or Frijoles a la Charra, is simple and delicious.
The Charro Beans is a great side dish for your carne asada recipe.
A fancy restaurant's grilled beef offering carne asada inevitably sports a helping of this classical recipe.
- 1 pound of beans
- 2 cloves of peeled garlic
- 1 white onion (1/2 whole, 1/2 chopped)
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon of powdered chicken broth
- 1 sliced serrano or jalapeno pepper
- 5 ounces of bacon cut into small pieces
- 5 ounces of chorizo
- 5 ounces of pork rinds in small pieces (optional)
- 2 sliced turkey sausages (optional).
- Leave a pot of beans covered in water overnight.
- The following day replace the water - adding a sufficient amount to begin cooking.
- As the water reaches its boiling point, add the 1/2 onion and garlic cloves.
- Cook until done, then add salt according to taste.
- In a frying pan with a small amount of cooking oil, fry the bacon and chorizo for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion, the chilli pepper and tomato and continue to fry.
- Add the fried ingredients to the pot of beans.
- Once the mixture is brought to boil, add the cilantro, pork rinds and sausages. Season with salt and powdered chicken broth.